[BTM] different dongles for BT?

garrett Lists-In at mxm.com
Fri Sep 19 23:30:55 PDT 2003

Sometime 'round 09/19/2003 10:31 PM, so and so (XXL) at such n such
(xxl at mac.com) graced my inbox with this brilliant thought:

>> Sometime 'round 09/05/2003 06:04 PM, so and so (garrett) at such n such
>> (Lists-In at mxm.com) graced my inbox with this brilliant thought:
>>
>>> I have both the D-Link (apples website) and I just got a 2 pack of ioGear
>>> CLASS 1 BT adapters (Class 1 go 300 feet instead of 30) - even though my
>>> phone is still a class 3 device (30 feet) - I get MUCH better range with the
>>> new adapters... especially using Salling Clicker!
>>>
>>> the ioGear is about 10$ more retail - but WORTH IT!
>>
>> EXACTLY!!!! SAME RESULTS HERE!!!
>
> WHAT about built-in BT on my 17" PowerBook?  Anybody know what class that
> might be?

now honestly I can't remember where I read it but I'm fairly certain it's
class 1

according to Apple's Spec's for the 17" they list it as built-in Bluetooth
1.1 - which I find hysterical because 1.1 is more of a specification
relating to the software than the hardware - but they make no reference to
the class - surprising since it is a wireless device and most electronics
with wireless xmitters give pretty specific info on the device...

which reminds me... with Bluetooth finally taking off (no pun intended) and
becoming more common, I wonder how may users would actually think/know to
turn off the hardware when flying on a passenger get? I got into the habit
of turning off Airport when I was flying...

-------
garrett