[BTM] different dongles for BT?

garrett Lists-In at mxm.com
Fri Sep 26 14:04:06 PDT 2003

Sometime 'round 9/20/03 7:47 PM, so and so (Benjamin G. Levy) at such n such
(benlevy at rockinbeat.com) graced my inbox with this brilliant thought:

> At 11:30 PM -0700 9/19/03, garrett wrote:
>>> WHAT about built-in BT on my 17" PowerBook?  Anybody know what class that
>>>  might be?
>>
>> now honestly I can't remember where I read it but I'm fairly certain it's
>> class 1
>
> It is not.  The range is listed as 30 feet, making it Class 3.

class 1 100m (100mW output)
class 2: 10m (2.5mW output)
class 3: 1m (1mW output)

that is from the Bluetooth spec.
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1278.html briefly explains apple's
choice in class and links to the official BT site which you need an account
for (I do so I downloaded the spec and reposed the page about xmissions -
sorry its an image - they only provide the spec in PDF)

http://homepage.mac.com/ravedog/.Pictures/wip/other/bt1.1xmitter.png

I have the spec if anyone wants it but its 1021 pages and around 10MB. (all
so we can tell iTunes to play another track with our cell phone... and I'm
sure more)

funny how they used 1 as the highest number... what happens if they up the
power? class 0? or class .5? hehehe

-------
garrett