Kensington PocketMouse Bluetooth Optical mouse

Stephen Jonke sjj_public at mac.com
Wed Jul 7 12:11:18 PDT 2004

I just got the new Kensington PocketMouse Bluetooth Optical on Tuesday.
I'd been holding out for a Kensington. It has two buttons plus a
(clickable) scrollwheel. In general I really like it and Kensington has
great (optional) software. Setup was a breeze. One possible shortcoming
is it doesn't have a power switch. I can't say whether or not the lack
of a power switch is really a significant thing, though, since I only
just got it and can't comment on battery life. It uses 2 AA batteries
(included). It is a bit on the small side, smaller than the PocketMouse
Pro Wireless, but I find it pretty comfortable to use anyway. YMMV, of
course.

Currently I'm using it with my PowerBook 667 MHz (VGA) and a D-Link
DWB-120M USB bluetooth module, which is not the newer, but the older
one. Apple only recommends/supports the newer D-Link with their
mouse/keyboard and there are definitely some issues with this bluetooth
module - for example Salling Clicker doesn't work if encryption is
enabled - so it would not surprise me if the problems I'm going to note
aren't there with newer bluetooth modules and/or Macs with built-in
bluetooth. I should be getting a new(er) PowerBook with built-in
bluetooth sometime soon and will find out then. Anyway...

...it takes a substantial amount of time for the Mouse to start working
after waking from sleep. On the order of 30 seconds, but I haven't
timed it. Sometimes I see a "Connection Lost" message when first waking
from sleep, other times I don't see that. For a second or two when it
initially starts working the mouse seems to move like it's drunk, but
then that clears up. Weird. Also, when booting up the computer the
mouse does not work until I log in, then the mouse is found and starts
working. Once you get past these hiccups the mouse performs beautifully
- it tracks and responds like a wired mouse, much better than the
PocketMouse Pro Wireless. Kensington's MouseWorks version 2.5.x
software supports bluetooth mice and is excellent as always.

I'm told by Kensington that they will soon have a full size bluetooth
mouse (based on the PilotMouse line) as well.

Steve