iBook problem..

Joe jabeleda at nbn.net
Mon Dec 2 07:49:51 PST 2002

A friend is getting strange sounds from her iBook, I think she needs to
get the HD repaired, but you all seem to know more than me...lol...
Here's her description:

"..kay, lately my ibook (white, circa july 2001) has been making louder
noises than before. it doesn't do it enough for me to really freak out
about it, but still i've noticed a significant increase in frequency
and volume of these noises. i'm not versed in computer hardware at all,
so i'll try to describe the sound (and fall flat on my face, i'm sure):
you know that sound computers make when they're processing something?
this was particularly noticeable in those old macs where you could just
hear them churning away ... it's not that noticeable in the
post-revival macs, but lately with my ibook i hear that sound a lot,
and i've noticed a definite scraping quality to it. like something in
it is grinding against or scratching something it isn't supposed to be.
like a metallic pick or something. i can't for the life of me figure
out WHY it's making these noises so often now. the last time i even
MOVED the ibook was in late september, and the noises didn't really
start until two, three weeks ago. i don't know, am i being paranoid?
although i think if you own an ibook, you'd feel the same way about
yours :) is this, like, normal for ibooks over a year old? or should i
be worried? there's also a noise that sounds half like clicking, half
like you're trying to twist open an advil cap or something but you're
not doing it the right way so it doesn't come off but just rotates in
place, making a, well, clicking noise. tonight specifically i hear it
when i switch to photoshop and do something there. so it's probably
related to high CPU usage? the noises seem to be coming from the left
half of the keyboard. no signs of overheating."