[P1] digital cameras? -- Optical vs Digital Zoom

Richard J Laue rjlaue.lists at verizon.net
Mon Dec 2 12:12:48 PST 2002

Charles Martin says:

>Here's a much better deal IMHO.
>
>http://dealmac.com/artclick.html?44451,62587
>
>The Kodak EasyShare CX4300 3.2-megapixel digital camera for $154
>with free shipping at Walmart.com. Features include 2x digital zoom
>(no optical zoom), 16MB MMC/SD card, 1.6-inch color LCD, and USB
>connectivity.

Charles, as you note in this ad, this camera does NOT have an optical zoom.

There is a BIG difference between optical zoom and digital zoom.
Optical zoom is a TRUE zoom, done through the lens; digital zoom uses
software to "guess" at what the picture should look like.  With
digital zoom there is almost always a loss of clarity and sharpness.

Unless you are using the camera for the lightest possible use --
posting low-resolution images to a web site, for instance -- you
should completely disregard the digital zoom from your purchasing
calculation.

Any camera that does not have an optical zoom (a TRUE zoom) is NOT a
bargain, in my opinion, regardless of price, except for the most
basic and casual of users.

There is a very nice explanation of all this "zoom" stuff in the FAQ at:
www.dcresource.com

Cheers -
RJLaue