[P1] Recommendations for USB flash drive?

lvt at mac.com lvt at mac.com
Mon Dec 2 14:53:51 PST 2002

> I found that my mp3 player works perfectly for these sort of things just
> switch the smartmedia card, or not, and copy what you want to transfer to
> another computer. It works great and I have 128mb of copying space available
> to me.
>
> Dave

You can use a compact flash/smart media card and reader for the same
purpose, but I really like these separate pen-sized usb doohickies.  I have
had several brands. The ur-disk from cyber guys was my first and is fairly
inexpensive.  My current fav is the lexmark. I especially like its extreme
small size and see-through casing.  As they are all basically the same
thing, you may just want to go for price or size or looks.  There are a few
that are somewhat bulky, given the concept, and a few others that are just
plain ugly.  Some also come with neck cords (handy to put on a hook near
your puter so you don't lose it) and a usb extender cable (handy if you have
a desktop puter with usb ports in the back.

I left one (a 64 mg purple ur-disk) with my mom in fla.  She will use it to
transfer files from her flat iMac to her dell laptop - sorry she needed the
pc to connect to her embroidery sewing machine - it doesn't work with
virtual pc.  She downloads patterns from the internet on the mac and moves
them to the pc.  She was amazed that the files unzip themselves and are
ready to work with.  My aunt and sister do this on pcs directly and
regularly have problems.  I have made mom promise NEVER to put the pc on the
internet to keep it free of viruses and other crash-causing problems.  She
was going to use a zip disk for the transfer until I showed her the pen
drive, how easy it was to use (just plug in, the laptop is on xp) and how
small and portable.

It is amazing that the lexmark I have holds more than most zips at 10 times
the size.  I see that iomega is jumping into the fray on pen drives now too.
It is the latest greatest floppy for the future.  I showed it to the pc
repair crew - they have ordered a few for their basic repair, antivirus
programs as they are handier than carrying cds and/or zips.