[P1] Erratic and frozen cursors

david davidwb at spymac.com
Mon Dec 2 18:56:19 PST 2002

On 12/2/02 9:24 PM, "Eric B. Richardson" <lbyron at comcast.net> wrote:

> Sometime ago, people commented that their cursor jumped all over the
> page as they moved it around. It was suggested that they are touching
> the trackpad inadvertently as a cause.
>
> Others complained that sometimes they would be using the trackpad and
> the cursor would just freeze. The consensus seemed to be that it was
> a static electricity problem, solved by putting the iBook to sleep or
> shutting it down and restarting it.
>
> I have had these problems as well, and have accepted these answers,
> however, as the weather gets colder and the air gets drier, the
> cursor becomes ever more erratic, and it freezes all the time,
> requiring nearly as many restarts as a Windows machine. It is totally
> unacceptable. I am very, very careful not to touch the trackpad with
> my other fingers, yet sometimes it will take five or six strokes to
> get to the point where I want  my cursor, several times getting
> almost there, and then having the cursor jump away, like the cursor
> and the point on the screen I am trying to reach are opposite poles
> of a magnet.
>
> What can I do to solve this? needless to say it makes it very
> difficult to be productive.

Static electricity? To test the theory try the following. Buy some cheap
liquid fabric softener and pour some in a spray bottle. Add water. About a
50/50 mixture. Spray your chair and the floor around the chair every day. If
the air is very dry spray twice a day. Seriously, it really works. Of
course, if the problem is happening at home, consider installing a
humidifier.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com