[P1] edjercated decisions Re: [P1] iBook price discounts

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 3 16:46:29 PST 2002

On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 11:49  AM, patrick fisher wrote:

> I'm a professional pricewatcher. No, I don't get paid to do it, but I
> enjoy tracking
> the best prices on computer and camera stuff. Weird hobby, but to each
> his own.
>
> Anyway, I won't make a purchase until I feel in my gut that I am doing
> the right
> thing. And usually I am doing the right thing when I track the prices
> on a
> particular item for a month or two. Until I see a price, and it feels
> right to
> purchase.
>
> This happened when I got my 14" Combo 700 iBook for $1349. I am very
> happy. I also
> picked up a Dimage 7i digital camera for $300 less that what is
> typical for the
> camera.

I paid a bit more for the Dimage but then again I got a few hours time
with the sales woman who answered quite a few questions and I got to
return a Nikon that wasn't working right. I like the Dimage better.

I saved $600 on a GL2 just by asking if they could match B&H or Profeel
or Zotz,  which took me about 15 minutes to look up. They camera will
undoubtedly drop as much as $400 more dollars over they next few years
and especially so when the GL3 is getting ready to ship. But by then I
will have shot a few hundred tapes and made much more than $400 do so.

Generally the best price is when a new model is about to ship and the
mfg is offering rebates and the prices are really cut. But then you
have to mentally adjust to the fact that you have the number two model.

---
Did anyone notice that the Turkey pardoned by the President was one of
those mutant turkeys bred to have large breasts and therefore cannot
walk?
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com