[P1] Recommendations for USB flash drive?

David Linker dtlinker at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 5 11:22:28 PST 2002

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 11:14 AM, Brett Forrester wrote:

> Hi, gang. I'm thinking of getting me and my iceBook one of these new
> USB flash drives so I can easily carry and transfer individual files
> from my computer at home to any of the various PCs and occasional
> iMacs at work, instead of mucking about with floppy or Zip disks and
> their drives. Would you recommend this strategy for such as I've
> suggested above? Does any make seem easier to use or more reliable
> than another? What's a reasonable size to purchase (since they still
> aren't exactly disposable, content or not)? What are your experiences
> and findings?
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> Brett

I got a Soyo Cig at r 128MB. It was $68 six months ago from
www.newegg.com. The prices were dropping and I thought that I might use
whatever I got for a couple of years and then replace it, rather than
go for the "highest quality".

I have been pleased with its functionality. On Macs, you just plug it
in and it shows up on the desktop, for either OS 9 or OS X. I was only
able to change the default name under OS 9. It is somewhat slow to
write to, but fast to read from.

I carry it in my pocket all the time, and it shows wear marks and the
cap has chipped. In spite of that, it has worked well, is easy to use,
and has made my life easier. I find it more reliable than trying to
hook up to iDisk, which is sometimes slow, and will not work at all if
my ISP is down, which has happened in the past but is more infrequent
now.

DTL