[P1] Woe is me...

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 6 07:37:31 PST 2002

On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 04:09  AM, Paul Bernhardt wrote:

> OSX is ultimately supposed to be the only OS on the machine. So, the
> boot in OS9 run around may not be that big a deal, long term. The boot
> from OSX CD may not be a big deal. Does it require the CD used to set
> up the machine or can any CD be used? If the original CD is needed,
> then it is not that big a deal because, presumably, the original CD is
> kept by the owner of the machine.

Original CD has little meaning with Mac OS software since it can be
used on any Mac. The CDs that Apple shipped with Macs from OS 7 to OS 9
could only be used on Macs of the same model because of the enablers
required but the bits and pieces of the OS could be used on any Mac,
you just need the correct enabler for the model. Retail versions have
enablers for all prior models but not future models.

> One of the reasons that I've not forgotten my password is that I am so
> regularly adding software, updating, etc. that it is always asking for
> it. I also used a word/phrase that is very familiar to me, but would
> be very foreign to all but a few folks who share the common hobby.
> Even they have to decide that the hobby is the source and then pick
> among the literally thousands of unusual words/phrases associated with
> the hobby.

I forgot to mention that Firewire Disk Mode can also be used to get at
the contents of an OS X drive.

---
Just saw 5 people sitting at a table and each talking to someone else
on their self-phones.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com