[P1] Woe is me...

Eric B. Richardson lbyron at comcast.net
Fri Dec 6 13:37:14 PST 2002

At 4:48 PM +0100 12/6/02, Lewis, Benjamin (Ben) wrote:

>I worked on a Network Operations project for a PTT who insisted on a
>fully redundant system which was hermetically sealed in a nuke-proof
>underground bunker.
>
>It cost millions and was destroyed by a disgruntled employee who
>took the backup tapes out of the safe, put them on top of the
>server, poured petrol over the whole thing and set it alight.
>
>No amount of firewall software could have stopped that. (if you'll
>pardon the pun).

Which just goes to show that no system is truly redundant if it is
not backed up off-site as well. That was in my backup 101 lessons,
make two back-ups and store one somewhere else. What happens if your
office burns down? Or someone flies a jet into it? It is clear that
American businesses understood true redundancy or when the WTC went
down, a number of firms would have lost all their data.