[P1] AppleCare

paulatx1 at aol.com paulatx1 at aol.com
Tue Dec 10 07:59:33 PST 2002

In a message dated 12/10/2002 6:20:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, robert at elastica.com writes:

> I own an 800 mhz Tibook and I'm still in my first year of warranty but I've
> asked about Applecare and I may decide to buy it after May next year when my
> initial year runs out. However, I do not understand why anybody would buy it
> at time of purchase because. If you lose or break your machine due to misuse
> you cannot transfer the applecare (at least that's what I've been told) to a
> new computer. So why buy something that doesn't benefit you now but wait
> until you are just about to run out of warranty like what
> you have chosen to
> do.

     One main reason to purchase AppleCare right away is so that you get free phone support after your initial 90 days phone support expires.  (If you don't need phone support for software issues, more power to you; but lots of people benefit from this support.)   Another reason is to make sure a.  you dont' forget  and  b.  Apple doesn't raise the rate on you.
    I look at Apple care as about a $12 a month insurance policy.  The screen alone on a Titanium runs well over a thousand dollars to replace.    I highly recommend AppleCare for any laptop computer  due to the very nature of  it getting hauled around and exposed to drops, bumps, and who knows what all.  (I would also recommend it for the flat panel iMacs   because the screens are so expensive to replace.)
     AppleCare is cheap insurance.  Too expensive you say?  Can you afford NOT to have it?  I'm too much of a clutz  to own a laptop  and not have it insured.  (yes...I publicly admit to dumping an entire supersized softdrink into an iBook)
                  Paula, the clutz, Rutledge