[P1] Firewire Port Failure

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Tue Dec 10 10:42:54 PST 2002

On 12/10/02 12:08 PM, "Larry Blodgett" <lblodgett at macosx.com> wrote:

> I have a white 15" ibook and I believe the firewire port is broken.
> Is this a common failure and what are your comments concerning my
> options.
>
> 1.  Mother board change (costly) how much?
> 2.  Use USB and put up with the slow speed?
> 3.  Are there any other options?

My 12" iBook's FireWire port stopped working soon after I bought the
machine. Fortunately, since it was new it was under warranty. After about an
hour of trouble-shooting with an Apple Tech on the phone, they sent me a box
to return the 'book. A couple of days later it came back with a new
motherboard (and working FireWire).

Since you're asking how much for a new motherboard, I assume your iBook is
out of warranty/AppleCare?
--
Mark O'Brien
AIM: rmarkob