[P1] Cable Modem connection with optimum online

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Wed Dec 11 12:56:25 PST 2002

> Can anyone on the list help me set up a cable modem connection with
> optimum online over airport?  I am trying to help a friend of mine
> that his having a very hard time.  If so can you tell me the steps you
> went through to get it to work, thanks

Assuming you were connecting through the AirPort Base Station's modem,
in the AirPort Admin Utility under "Internet," using the pop-up menus,
you want to connect by "Ethernet," and under the "Configure" menu,
select "Using DHCP." That should do it for the Base Station.

But you'll need to connect the AirPort Base Station to an Ethernet Hub,
and connect *that* to the Cable Modem. There's a technical reason for
this, but I haven't a clue what that is. (And my four-month old won't
sit still long enough to let me look it up!)

Feel free to e-mail me off-list (or have your friend do so); I just set
everything up about two or three weeks ago.

Good luck!
BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net