[P1] Cable Modem connection with optimum online

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 11 13:42:19 PST 2002

 On Wednesday, December 11, 2002, at 08:56  pm, Brian Pearce wrote:

>> But you'll need to connect the AirPort Base Station to an Ethernet
>> Hub, and connect *that* to the Cable Modem. There's a technical reason
>> for this
>
> Is this right?
> I simply connected my CM to my Airport base station with an ethernet
> cable and turned both on. The basestation *is* the hub surely?
>
> Andrew

I connected straight from my DSL modem to my Airport Base Station too, but I
believe the reason you might want to put a hub between the modem and the ABS
is if you also wanted to connect at least two other non-wifi computers to
the broadband modem via ethernet cable. If you only wanted to add one other
non-wifi computer by ethernet, you'd use the other ethernet port on the ABS.

Brian