[P1] iBook Bad RAM?

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu Dec 12 10:01:47 PST 2002

On 12/12/02 10:47 AM, "schwarztech at jmug.org" <schwarztech at jmug.org> wrote:

> I called Apple and they gave me crap about the $50 fee for support, and
> they said that they'd reimburse me if it's a hardware problem.
>
> For that price, I'll go buy a damn RAM chip and forget the whole hassle,
> and plus I wouldn't be without the machine for weeks on end, like I've
> heard from some...
>
> Apple's support really pisses me off, especially when a machine is still
> under the 1 year warranty, yet you have to deal with this crap - they need
> to have a separate number for hardware/warranty stuff.

And you are getting 100% of your HARDWARE warranty from Apple. Apple is
upfront about tech support being limited to 90 days - that is tech support
for SOFTWARE, HARDWARE, and dumb user tricks. After that your support from
Apple is for HARDWARE only. Apple's tech support (which isn't all that
different from other computer and hardware tech support, I might add)
clearly told you if the problem was with Apple's hardware you would be
reimbursed. In point of fact, you wouldn't even be billed.

1) we begged Apple to lower computer prices. What, did you expect that Apple
could give us all the same superior support and hardware built like tanks
while cutting prices? If you want the old support we used to get from Apple
pony up for AppleCare and you will get it.

2) I don't recall any longer where you got the memory (assuming you
mentioned) if you bought the memory from a third party and suspect the
problem is RAM related (a very high probability) then contacting them is the
thing to do.

Get a life, Apple isn't going out of its way to make you a target. Of all
the boneheaded things I've heard about Apple doing, this doesn't even come
close to bonehead level. It is simple good business sense.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com