[P1] Backwards compatibility [WAS: Partitioning...OS]

Jason Bennett jpbennett at mac.com
Fri Dec 13 10:34:41 PST 2002

Hi Richard,

Compatibility is by and large great on the Mac platform. In defence of
Apple, I think they have reasonable backwards-compatibility standards
-- even loads of 68x00 programs run just fine. Apple's decision to
restrict new machines to the latest OS has more to do with the fact
they test their new hardware only with the latest OS -- "the latest and
greatest." My suspicion is by doing this, they can certify the machine
works as it should and any software problems that may arise can be
diagnosed during the warranty with minimal hassle. They simply don't
have the resources to certify older versions of OS 9, and besides,
newer versions usually have fewer bugs. This is probably also a way of
forcing developers to ensure that their software will run on the latest
OS.

> I am breathless. This is insanity...I don't want to go through the
> hassle of
> reinstalling to confirm this myself but if its true and if I had known
> might have gone for a 500 model instead of the 700 I bought to have the
> compatibility (even though I don't need it) and saved some money to
> boot!
> (pun intended) but then again there's the 10.2 issue...

Here you were referring to the inability to install 9.1 (I believe) on
a newer machine. However, the fact you can only install 9.2 shouldn't
preclude compatibility with 9.1 software. Or have you encountered a
specific scenario where this is the case?

> I love my macs and have since first sight in '86 but this is unreal...
>
> First you can't run powerpc stuff on a normal mac...I still have an
> LC475
> sitting around doing nothing...no ethernet card or PPC Chip...
> otherwise I
> could use it as a server, then 10.2 madness with Quartz Extreme unless
> 16
> meg video ram (ergo same fate for my iMac) and now no backward
> compatibility
> for my new iBook...I'm starting to think maybe Apple should port X to
> intel...there doesn't seem to be the level of hard and software
> compatibility from the same manufacturer there should be to offset the
> disadvantages...

First, I'd recommend using an Internet resource like
http://www.lowendmac.com -- they're a fantastic site for older
Macintoshes. With a little digging, I think you'll find articles where
people use 68x00 machines successfully as servers with early versions
of Linux and other OSes for server purposes.

Back in the early 1990s, Apple had to make the switch from 68x00 to PPC
to keep the platform growing technologically. The transition from 68x00
to PPC was a daunting task full of pitfalls, but by all accounts Apple
pulled off an amazing change. So much so, that many people didn't even
notice! I read several articles about the numerous technological
challenges of this transition, and I'd pass them on if I had them
bookmarked. If you're interested, use Google and type "PPC Apple
transition" and hopefully a few will pop up.

I use a Rev. A (tangerine) iBook with 10.2, and I can say that while it
would be kewl to have Quartz Extreme as a feature, everything still
runs fine without it. The one thing that is a drag with my machine,
though, is the lack of OpenGL support, although this doesn't affect
iBooks after FireWire was introduced. Still, I get a lot of milage
under Jaguar.

Returning to the subject of compatibility: To use an analogy, we
wouldn't expect Honda to ensure that the 2003 Accord is 100% compatible
in parts with the 1983 Accord. Certainly the changes in technology over
the last 10 years in computerdom have been just as drastic. As an
example, in 1993, our family had a PowerBook 150 that ran at 16MHz on a
68x000. Our 1999 iBook clocks in at 300MHz on a PPC. Nevertheless, I
can still use my 10 year old copy of MS Word 5.1 on my PPC -- a program
written for the 68x00 chip. However, it would be impossible to expect a
program optimized for the PPC, such as Bugdom, to run on a 68x000.

In conclusion, I think Apple has done a pretty good balancing act
considering that computers have changed so much within such a short
time, relatively speaking. Also, I think compatibility is broader than
your message suggests, and I'd certainly recommend checking sites such
as LowEndMac for tips to give your older machines a new lease on life.

Cheers,

Jason