[P1] iBook Slow on 10.2.2 (Continued)

Qinet brianlim at qinet.net
Fri Dec 13 18:58:12 PST 2002

on 12/14/02 8:54 AM, Larry Blodgett at lblodgett at macosx.com wrote:

> I removed the memory module and started up on the built in memory (64
> megs I think?) and the processor % was still pegged into the 90's.
>
> I posted this on the Hardware and Unix list.
>
> I have a 12" white iBook 500 MHz (64 +256 Meg Ram) which runs fine
> under 9.2.2 but runs 5 TIMES slower under MacOS 10.2.2.  The firewire
> port is broken and does not function in either system.
>
> Here is my question:
>
> Is there a process under OSX that is constantly looking at the port
> and trying to make it work.  This would busy the system and make it
> run very slow?  If this is the case it should be possible to turn off
> the firewire port daemon.  Releasing the sytstem from an endless
> process.
>
> I have reinstalled X three times now on it own 6 gig partition.
> Before the port failure X seemed to run normal.
>
> PS- I have run the hardware diagnostics and MacTest Pro and
> everything passes as just fine.  The only way I know the firewire
> port is broken is because it does not work at all under either system.
>
> Any ideas??????

I've tried all isolation combinations. I replace the RAM, even installed a
new hard disk myself. If your firewire is defective, then your MOBO also is
because the firewire port is directly attached to the Mobo. Your Mobo could
be damaged via external firewire devices' power. It happened to me.

--
Kind regards,
Brian Michael Lim

[T/F] +632 551-7394    ...constantly surprising

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. It is a lifestyle."