[P1] truth in advertising

Donald Keenan dkeenan2 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Dec 18 15:43:34 PST 2002

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 06:32 PM, Charles Martin wrote:

>> From: patrick fisher <patrick.m.fisher at wamu.net>
>>
>> Rush is very gung-ho on the Mac. I bet he believes that if Apple
>> advertised on his
>> show, more people would buy them. I bet it would be good money,
>> well-placed.
>>
>> It's great to have someone totally conservative and rabid talking cool
>> about Mac. I
>> bet he's gotten many people to switch.
>
> While I personally loathe the man, I've no doubt that he has in fact
> gotten people to at least consider the Mac who otherwise wouldn't have.
> He commands them as a voodoo priest commands zombies.
>
> However, even if Rush were a raving lunatic left-wing anarchist weirdo
> (people whom I also loathe), I wouldn't suggest Apple advertise on his
> show. Apple should not advertise on ANY blatantly political show. I was
> unhappy with Apple supplying iMacs to the last Democratic Nat'l
> Convention (unless they offered to do the same for the Republicans).
>
> Apple does not want to associate itself with ANY political ideology.
> Apple's mission is well above such petty nonsense as partisan politics.

I did a Google search on Limbaugh and found several references to his
devotion to macs. What surprised me was George W. Bush was mentioned as
a mac devotee (MacCentral). Well, he's got the money, but he just seems
like a MS platform type.
I'm into Apple's advertising/marketing, especially the print ads. I
don't know if the "Switch" ads have produced the numbers they want, but
the campaign is going on and on, so perhaps so.
Charles mentions a campaign with famous writers, which I think would
work, but only if coupled with film and television celebrities and God
knows there are a ton of them out there who use and love macs.
Donald