truth in advertising

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Dec 19 01:07:47 PST 2002

> From: "Eric B. Richardson" <lbyron at comcast.net>
>> Apple does not want to associate itself with ANY political ideology.
>> Apple's mission is well above such petty nonsense as partisan
>> politics.
>
> Wow, talk about the Mac cult.

What I meant is that Apple's core mission (aside from making enough
money/selling enough computers to stay in business) is to empower
people to do new and interesting things with their computers. To use
computers as more than just a tool. Steve Jobs likes to talk about
Apple as "being at the intersection of art and commerce," and that's
about as good a definition as I can put on it.

Maybe that does make Apple and the people who buy into that a "cult,"
but as long as we're creating a cult, I'm glad it's such a nice one.

No political party -- certainly not the miserable pair the US is stuck
with -- has a monopoly on good ideas, or artistic ideas, or empowering
ideas. Neither does Apple, but at least they want to raise the bar when
it comes to elegance, style, creativity and worthwhile endeavour. By
comparison, the other PC companies and most other software makers look
like the cast of "Dilbert."

That's what I meant when I said Apple's mission is above petty
politics. I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

> I tasted the crow, it was pretty tough, but I really didn't eat it,
> because I still don't think that you should get away with the
> exaggerations that you made.

Oh come on -- you've *never* told a story or stated a factoid you once
read somewhere while speaking (or writing) extemporaneously and
accidentally exaggerated? You've never related an anecdote and later
realised you'd set the story 10 years earlier than when it actually
happened? You've never written a post where you put down 5MB when you
mean 5KB? Give me a freakin' break.

Rush exaggerated his claim. I accidentally exaggerated Rush's
exaggeration in the retelling. You called me on it, I checked, found I
was in error and reported it. Doing so lets me off the hook (with a tip
o the hat to you), but Rush's original (corrected) exaggeration stands.

> I don't think that the ads on Rush's show would hurt Apple, but I
> can't fault Apple for making choices that are their absolute
> prerogative.

Let me put this another way so that maybe you'll understand their
rationale better: would it hurt them to advertise on Al Sharpton's show
(if he had one)? Would it hurt them in the eyes of conservative Mac
users like yourself if they were to advertise on Bill Clinton's
long-rumoured-but-still-mythical TV talk show?

You bet your sweet bippy it would. Apple is quite right to be VERY
hesitant to associate itself with highly controversial figures (unless
said figures are either dead or have had so much time elapse that their
ideas are now considered mainstream, that is -- see the "Think
Different" ad) of any sort.

> There are liberal leaning talk shows in nearly every market, some are
> expanding.

There's one in Miami that's quite good, I hear.

>  The fact that there are no liberal nationwide shows to
> speak of is not for lack of trying. There have been several over the
> years that have all fallen flat on their face.

If there really is a "liberal media," why is it that conservative talk
shows succeed and liberal talk shows fail?

No, please don't answer that (at least, not here). So far we've managed
to stay largely on-topic.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**