iVoice II

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Dec 19 01:25:24 PST 2002

> From: David Crump <davecrump at mac.com>
>
> I've read on this list that the Griffin iMic beats the MacAlly iVoice
> hands down for USB audio input into our Clamshell iBooks, but it looks
> like the iVoice II is coming out.
> Check it out:
> http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/ivoice2.html

I'm not familiar with the iVoice version 1, but based on this I think
you are little confused about the two products. They do not do the same
thing.

The iMic, despite the name, is not a microphone at all. It has two 1/8"
jacks -- one for sound in, the other for sound out. It has a switch
that toggles the incoming to either "line level" or "mic level."

It is primarily used to connect other audio equipment (such as
microphones, turntables and cassette decks) to a G4 via the USB port.

The iVoice, by comparison, is primarily a microphone. It has a "line
in" jack for sound as the iMic does, but the description doesn't make
clear in the line-out is stereo or not -- as they mention that it's
intended to be used for PC headsets, it might very well not be.

The iVoice (which is $15 more expensive than the iMic) is being aimed
at people who own clamshell iBooks or Digital Audio G4s and want to
have a microphone and/or use a headset mic. As a side benefit, they
offer some kind of stereo input for (for example) digitising analog
sound sources.

The iMic is more of a pure digitiser, focusing mainly on helping people
connect their stereo analog input and output audio equipment to the
Mac. Recently the iMic folks introduced a free program to let you use
the iMic as an unamplified mic-level recording source (IOW, you can
hook a turntable to it directly, no preamp needed, and record tracks).

> still haven't shelled out for my iMic, so I'm wondering if this is
> worth
> waiting for.

Given that the iMic is a mere $35, caution seems pretty unwarranted.
You could have been using that iMic for a year now while you were
waiting for the iVoice, which seems to me a fair benefit for the modest
"risk" of spending $35.

Unless the iMic is not what you need at all due to its lack of onboard
microphone, of course.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**