[P1] truth in advertising...still OT

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Fri Dec 20 11:47:51 PST 2002

----- On 12/20/02 11:30 AM MDT (-0600), Dale Critchley
<dale at infinityltd.org> wrote, in part:

>I am not responsible for the actions of my ancestors any more than current
>minorities are owed anything by me for what was done in the past. They are
>no longer discriminated against, except getting a whole lot of stuff handed
>to them on a silver platter.

One of these days, it might be interesting to visit the planet you're
talking about. Meanwhile, back on Earth, this is not the case, especially
if you take a sociological view rather than look at any given individual.
How anyone can say that discrimination by race does not exist is beyond
me.

> As a WASP, it was very difficult for me to find
>scholarships for college & grad school, but there are so many minority
>scholarships out there, it's mind-boggling. I'm not against minority
>scholarships, but with all the aid out there to help minorities better
>themselves to get them more qualified, I see no reason for lowering the
>standards for those select groups. Our nation has apologized profusely for
>slavery, and it's time to move on, put skin color behind us,

Right. Like it's that simple. Apologize and go on. This is an example of
the "simple answers to complex questions" mentality that qualifies as my
pet political peeve. That's just as likely to work as "Just say no" is
likely to solve the drug problem (or the "war on drugs" for that matter).

I'm not saying that various Affirmative Action programs are perfect, but
to dismiss them out of hand with the above argument is simplistic and, I
think disengenuous. Social and political problems are not solved by
looking at one side of the story, despite the very vocal protestations of
many conservative Republicans to the contrary.

>and focus on
>the real issues that divide our country, like computer platform. ;^)

Or OS X vs. OS 9.x . . .

Best Regards,

Harry Corsover

    Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
Amazing Travel * Health * Legal & Tax Benefits
    Get & Send Email by Voice! * Much More!
          <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
      <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562