[P1] truth in advertising...still OT

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 20 17:18:16 PST 2002

On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 10:58  AM, Harry D. Corsover wrote:

> So, the white majority gets to first enslave, then discriminate greatly
> against a black minority.

The slave masters where not just 'white'. Christians and Jews and a
small number of africans also owned slaves in the US.

Around the world the list of slave owners most likely included every
nation and every ethnic group and every religion.

There were 'Indian', African and 'white' slaves in the US.

Slavery was an economic institution and may even be used still in China
to help produce those high quality low cost goods we enjoy.

In the US we no longer need rely on human slaves as we now have
mastered the art of mechanical slaves (a point made in the movie
Terminator...).

One interesting point that I realized recently while drive up sugar
alley (27) in South Florida is the change that has occured in the sugar
industry. 50 years ago and before the sugar industry was the closest
thing left to slavery in how they treated immigrants from the islands
lodging them behind barbed wire, cheating them out of their wages and
subjecting them to truly cruel work. Now there are large machines that
cut down the cane where human semi-slaves once hacked away with
machettes in the burning tropical sun amid snakes and such. These
machines spray the cut up stalks into large trucks that then race their
cargo to the refineries and make a round trip for more.

Industrializations, not a zeal for human rights or equality, has done
more to end outright slavery and replace it with a wage slave.

If we didn't have our air conditioned cars, power mowers, electric
drills, packaged animal parts in our grocery stores, bins and bins of
fruits and vegetables to pick through, slavery might return as an
acceptable option.

---
My Presidential Campaign Begins: My first proposal is that a personal
computer remains just that, personal, and that no company or person has
any right to place, without informed permission, any software on that
which would infringe on its security or privacy.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com
iCal:  coming soon