[P1] internet connect

Leigh lbdesigns at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 21 09:58:52 PST 2002

On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 12:32  PM, Bruce B Wood wrote:

> I'm having no problem with internet connect on my desktop running 10.1.
>
> But I just put jaguar on my iBook and, although I belive the settings
> are the same, I keep getting disconnected at various (short) intervals
> with the message: "Connection terminated because the other side is not
> responding. Please try again."  Ideas? (It's even happening in the
> middle of downloading my mail.)

Is this a more recent (Late 2001 up to current) iBook?

It sounds like it's disconnecting because the other side is not
responding to echo requests. Enabling verbose logging in Network Prefs
(in PPP Options) and displaying the Connection Log in Internet Connect
would show this. If you want, send me the connection log -- from the
time you click connect to when it's fully disconnected -- off-list and
I'll take a look at it.

You might try the v.34 script instead of v.92. It could be that the
modem is having trouble retraining (renegotiating the data rate) and
getting confused. You will connect slower with v.34 than with v.92, but
you may also have a more stable connection.

If you're already using v.34, or it doesn't help, you might also try a
different access number if another one is available. Sometimes access
numbers can be wonky.