Energy Save Settings in X

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 24 08:39:36 PST 2002

On Sunday, November 24, 2002, at 08:55  AM, david wrote:

>  OS X isn't optimized for notebooks
> yet. It is more than a little disingenuous for Apple to be shipping OS
> X as
> the default OS and claiming battery life for OS 9.

In Jaguar you will find options for X similar to those in OS 9 for
settings for putting the computer to sleep and using a separate time to
put the display to sleep. You have the option of putting the hard drive
to sleep when possible. There is the option for highest or reduced
processor performance.

You can also select from a popup menu the options for various types of
performance from highest to DVD.

These settings are in the Energy Saver Preference in the System
Preferences.

I do not know if every Powerbook and iBook, upgraded or not, sees the
same preferences but these are available on my G4 tiBook.

I do not know if these work as good as the options in OS 9 as far as
extending battery life. However if you are using OS X and haven't
checked, don't wait any longer. Do it now.

---
The #8 Reason we don't let kids vote:  They might vote to build for
children a $600 Million Dollar Publicly Funded Sports Stadium, just
like the adults get.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com