Battery life for 1yr old iBook

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Nov 24 10:41:31 PST 2002

> From: Brett Forrester <bforrester at macconnect.com>
>> Just curious...how long does the average iBook battery last before it
>> starts
>> losing it's capacity?

I thought I'd chime in to answer both Guy's and Brett's question based
on the experience of owning two "clamshell" iBooks, one original
Tangerine and one original Graphite SE (the 366 clear one, not the
later 466 one).

At the risk of sounding like I'm boasting, I knew when I bought these
machines that the battery in them is basically a very large cell-phone
battery, so I used the best consensus advice I had at the time: drain
them COMPLETELY the first time you use them, charge them back up fully,
then use as normal. This seems to have paid off handsomely.

To date, both machines continue to get 4 to 4.5 hours of use on their
original batteries. Both machines were bought about a year after the
initial introduction of the iBook.

> 1) Guy, what OS are you running? As observed on this list and
> elsewhere, OS 9 tends to have better energy management features than
> OS X (especially since OS X's UNIX underpinnings were designed for
> servers that would never be unplugged, as far as I understand) though
> Apple seems to be working on this with each new OS X update.

My machines run 9.2.2 (Tangerine) and 9.1 (Graphite). I played with 10
on the graphite but ultimately decided that I'm not happy with OS X at
800x600. Both machines are used for extremely light duty (email, web
surf, word processing and simple games like Yahtzee). They're writer's
machines, essentially. They both have an extra 128MB chip in them (so
the Tangerine has a total of 160, the Graphite 192) which doesn't seem
to have affected the battery at all. I don't run Airport cards in
either one of them.

> I bought my trusty iceBook
> just after Macworld NY 2001, and its once impressive battery life of
> 3-5 hours has now withered to just over one hour (sometimes close to
> two) under either OS 9.2.2 or OS X 10.1.4 (128 MB RAM).

Something's clearly wrong there. Under OS X I'd expect to see short
battery life, but not like that.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**