Switching to Jaguar

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Nov 25 06:09:10 PST 2002

> From: Andrew Nye <andrew at nye.tc>
>
> I've been using OS X since it was first available - first on my beige
> G3 then on my (fantastic and now exclusively used) iBook 12" dual USB.
> I had resisted switching to Jag as there appeared to be so many probs.
> However, I took the plunge and installed it as a simple upgrade. Works
> perfectly so far and seems a good, smooth improvement to a great OS.
>
> So, if you are hesitating, here's a long time sceptic saying: "Do it!"

I would really love to know where people are getting the idea that Jag
is any more problem-plagued than ANY repeat ANY previous version of the
Mac OS. I really would.

Jaguar has proven itself to be BY FAR the least burp-prone upgrade I've
ever seen as far as Mac OS X installations go multiple times over. I
base this opinion both on my own firsthand experiences of installing
Jag (which probably number several dozen machines by now), and on
reports from hundreds of other Mac users in the several cities I
routinely visit.

YES there are some things the user needs to do in advance to ensure a
trouble-free installation. When has this ever NOT been the case?

YES it's possible (but rare) that an installation may not go as
planned, or unforeseen problems may appear. When has *this* ever not
been the case?

I've had FAR weirder, more difficult to troubleshoot, bizarre
installation problems under OS's 7-9 than I've *ever* had with *any*
version of OS X. The fact that the error messages and/or
troubleshooting routines are different between the two OSes may confuse
some people, but it doesn't mean one is inherently "harder" than the
other.

Bottom line: Jaguar is the best OS X to date, and problems associated
with it have been minimal compared to *some* previous OS releases I can
think of. I don't know where the FUD is coming from, but that's all it
is: FUD.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**