Dead Pixel

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Nov 25 06:24:04 PST 2002

> From: rebeccah at olypen.com
>
> David has a brand new ibook with a flaw in the display and this is
> *not* a reason for return and exchange?!!

Simply put, no. The LCD manufacturing process, like the hot dog
manufacturing process, has an unavoidable possibility of flaws in any
given display. One dead or stuck pixel (which might be revivable, it
should be noted) is not considered a flaw.

Apple's policy was (I don't know if it still is) that a display must
have five "stuck" or "dead" pixels before it is considered unacceptable
and eligible for a return.

This is on par with every other computer manufacturer I know of. It is
up to the buyer to inspect the merchandise and nullify the sale if
flaws are found in accordance with consumer laws of the state they live
in and/or the state the merchandise was bought in.

> How can that be? Isn't it reasonable to expect something you spend
> that much money on to be perfect for a week or two?

No ... I can't recall the last time I bought something that was utterly
without flaw under any kind of inspection whatsoever. I'm not sure such
things exist.

I mean, I think the G3 snow iMac I'm currently typing this on is
perfect, but of course it's not really. It just doesn't have any
serious, noticeable flaws. If I really looked I could easily find flaws
with it.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**