[P1] wireless networking

Meg St. Clair megsaint at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 1 18:00:40 PST 2003

On 4/1/03 8:40 PM, "Eric B. Richardson" <lbyron at comcast.net> wrote (edited
for length):

> So the problem is that when I turn on the BrickHouse firewall, the
> two machines don't see each other. It is set by default to deny
> incoming connections. So the question is how do I get the best
> security, and still allow these two machines (or more later) to see
> each other. They are communicating well when it is not turned on. How
> do I get access to the other folders besides the public?

This isn't exactly an answer. I have a G3 connected by wire to my Airport
base station and my iBook has an Airport card. I use the built in OS X
firewall on both (in addition to what protection the base station provides).
It all seems to work just fine. Is there a particular reason why you're
using Brickhouse? Have you experimented to see if you can do what you want
without it?

> A related question is what do I do to get Airport card traffic across
> the wireless router encrypted? does it slow down the traffic
> perceptibly? How do I know it is working?

The router you're using is different than an Airport but the theory should
be the same. Using whatever configuration utility your router uses, enable
WEP. It doesn't appear to slow things down for me. On the other hand, I
don't believe it's terribly secure. As I understand it, that's why many
business aren't crazy about WiFi.

Meg