Bluetooth mini-review

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 05:40:32 PDT 2003

Yesterday I had an informal Bluetooth event with a 12" & 17" Powerbook
and my tibook with the D-Link bluetooth adapter.

Warning: the Jaguar defaults are for no file sharing and firewall
turned on and bluetooth off. If you allow personal filesharing and turn
off the firewall, which you have to do to use Bluetooth between
computers, and turn bluetooth on, then anyone nearby with Bluetooth has
the ability to upload any file to your computer or download any file
from your computer, if you do not protect yourself. It works similar to
having filesharing turned on while connected to an ethernet network.

We viewed the hard drive of all of the books, transfered files and
copied files. The directory window is not an X window and acts more
like an OS 9 window. It also acts like iDisk window or the Adobe GoLive
web site browser in that it is slow, does not remember the last file
list it showed and must build the hierarchy with each click. Not
something you'd want to do very often if you get nervous and fidgety
when something is quite slow.

But, it works...

Wifi is so much faster that I can't see anyone wanting to use Bluetooth
for computer to computer connections. I don't know how practical it is
for printing since we didn't try that. For automatic syncing of your
calendar and phone, it might be just right.

Bluetooth is so slow connecting that I don't see it replacing wifi as a
network connection although it has some utility.

It will be a welcome addition for keyboards, pdas, digital still
cameras, mice, trackpads, and such where the connections can be
automated and the user kept out of the process.

Since we did not fully test all of the features, it may be that there
is some 'hidden' set up we did not see that lets to Macs trade files
quickly and easily.

---

jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com