[P1] Airport and iBook

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Tue Apr 15 19:36:18 PDT 2003

Kenny Feder on 4/15/03 7:19 PM wrote:

> After working perfectly for more than a year, my iBook (14" icebook) has
> suddenly developed extreme range problems with my Airport base station. If I
> bring it a within a few feet of the Airport (Snow), I get a nice strong
> signal and can connect, no problem, but if I take it to where it has always
> <snip>
> I right in assuming it can't be the base station or the card? There must be
> an antenna in the thing, right? Could that be the problem? What are my
> options?

My 12" iBook suffered the exact same problem. I couldn't stray more than 10
feet from the base station. It went back to Apple for repair.

The antenna is located in the lid and the cable passes through the hinge. I
don't really know what the exact problem was, but paperwork that came back
with it indicated the following parts that were replaced.

600-8601 PCBA REED SWITCH, R1 U220, P29
600-8599 PCBA ANTENNA COAXIAL CABLE U220

AppleCare took care of the problem. It shipped out on a Monday afternoon
(via the box Apple sent overnight) and came back to me on Wednesday morning
less than 48 hours after sending it.

Hope you purchased AppleCare. I bought it when I bought my iBook and I'm
glad I did.

-Mark