ibook just gives up now and then

brian hugh warren stationwagon at watchtan.com
Tue Apr 29 21:10:37 PDT 2003

howdy howdy howdy.

Interesting problem here. Now and then my wife's ibook (700MHz CDROM)
just says "I'm outta here" and shuts off. It doesn't really say that,
but it does shut off. No warning, nada. I haven't been able to
categorically say that it's heat related, so I dont know that it's just
overheating, but I'm on the lookout to see if that's the cause. The
problem is that sometimes it does this and then really just refuses to
turn back on. It will get to a light grey screen and then just hang
there. Reeeaaallly annoying. So sometimes I can get it to boot from a
cd, sometimes not. One time i tried to get it to boot from a cd, and
the thing came up with a no-smoking symbol minus the cigarette (just
the "circle slash").

So, i leave it overnight untouched, and I try it the next day and it
works fine. In fact I type to you now from this very same ibook. So
usually, when I'm ready to call up apple (this ibook has been in two
times already), I'm finding that the ibook works fine and I can't
replicate the problem. So I just don't call.

Wrinkle: I'm moving to Alaska the day after tomorrow. I'll be near an
apple store as I go through denver. Should I bring it by? Maybe they
can take it in for me.

Sheesh.

Thanks, by the way.

bw