[P1] How Many tries to capture daylight lightning flash?

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Sat Aug 2 07:19:50 PDT 2003

On 2003-08-02 15:43, Jack Rodgers wrote:

> On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 05:18  AM, Joost van de Griek wrote:
>
>> Then again, is it THAT hard, to have some consideration whether or not a
>> message has a place on this list? Like most others, I pay for my bandwidth.
>> To have it wasted by people sending me unwanted, unsolicited mail about
>> topics I am uninterested in, is annoying. Kind of like spamming.
>
> Kinda like this off topic flame?

It concerns this list, and is therefore closer to (if not on) topic than
your uninvited blarb about photography.

> Basically the prior point made by someone else is that if one
> encounters a post they don't like, if they just ignore it rather than
> telling thousands of people about the inner workings of their mind, the
> message quietly passes into oblivion. The off topic flame creates more
> posts. Wasting your time, unless of course you enjoy flaming.

Blah-blah-blah. Can you read? If so, did you read (and understand) my
explanation? I PAY MONEY to have email delivered to me. I subscribe to this
list because I own an iBook and am (usually) interested in the discussions
on this list. I do NOT choose to receive email about whatever comes to your
confused mind just because you have access to many peoples' email inboxes as
a result of subscribing to the same list as them.

Now, there is, of course, a possibility that you intended to send the
offending message to another list, where it would have been appropriate.
However, there is a five-hour gap between your posting and my reply, which
would, I reckon, have been ample time for you to realise your mistake and
post an apology. Had you done so, I would have had no problem with your
post, after all, accidents do happen.

The fact that you didn't do so, combined with your reaction to my email,
suggest that this is not the case. In other words, you chose to send an
unsolicited message to A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE through this list, simply
because you have it at your disposal. That's damn close to spamming, mate.

> 98.775% of most complainers about off topic posts don't realize that
> complaints are off topic and 100% don't realize they are not the
> listmom.

Oh, boo-hoo. 99.775%, huh? Care to come up with some research to back that
statistic up?

1. I have never claimed I was the list mom. I have simply voiced my dislike
of you stuffing my inbox (at my cost) with messages I have never indicated I
am interested in. The discussion became on-topic the second you spammed the
list.

2. I don't give a hoot about something being on- or off-topic, to a point.
If a discussion veers off-topic, so be it. No problem there, it's human
nature. It's something different, though, to post deliberately off-topic
messages that are entirely unrelated to the topic of this list, or an
existing discussion that was going on.

Now, it seems you have an interest in photography. You appear to want to
discuss this with other people. All fine 'n' dandy with me. But please tell
me you have a life outside this list... Is this your only means of
communication? Have you no friends, no access to anything but email so you
can take three seconds, type "photography email list" into Google and find
over a million references in 0.39 seconds?

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
I can please only one person per day.