[OT] Flame wars

Jonathan Fletcher jfletch at aye.net
Sun Aug 3 07:51:33 PDT 2003

On Sunday, Aug 3, 2003, at 03:02 US/Eastern, don hinkle
<donhinkle at att.net> wrote:

> The Texan stereotype is a loud, overbearing, braggart — ”Now listen,
> son, I’ll tell you how to do it.” Okies are the opposite: understated,
> quieter, more humble with a strong streak of self-effacing humor and
> sarcasm. “I would dearly appreciate your showing me how to do it since
> I’ve only done this a thousand times.” One popular automobile bumper
> sticker reads, “It’s hard to be humble when you’re a Sooner.”   Read
> OKLAHOMA, an Enslow book, by Donald Henry Hinkle. ISBN 0-7660-5138-2

Hey, Don,

I guess, then, you know that "Sooner" means "cheater?" The sooners were
those who illegally marked their land before the official start of a
land rush. Kinda says something about a bunch of people that call
themselves, in effect, "cheaters."

So the bumper sticker actually reads: "It's hard to be humble when
you're a Cheater." Unless, of course, you choose to ignore the origin
of the moniker. I guess it's true when they say, "Ignorance is bliss."

--

jfletch