[P1] External hard Drive

Richard J Laue rjlaue.lists at verizon.net
Tue Aug 5 07:29:42 PDT 2003

Hi, Brian -

I've got the same iBook as you.

I have two OWC (Other World Computing:
http://eshop.macsales.com/catalog.cfm ) portable 40gig Firewire
drives which I use for backup.  I like the portables because they
draw their power from the Firewire port, and therefore do not require
an AC adaptor.  Plus they are very small, and can easily be tossed
into my carrying case.

I bought my second drive a few months ago, with the 8mb buffer.  My
first drive has the 2mb buffer.  The 8mb buffer is definitely faster
than the 2mb for copying large, contiguous files.  I don't think
there's much difference if the files being moved are small and/or
fragmented, because the speed slowdown there is head-seek-time,
rather than transfer speed.  But if you're dealing with large files
(in my case, dozens of audio files of digitized lectures, averaging
about 250-300mb each) the speed difference is VERY noticeable and
appreciated!

There is one other important consideration if you're using a hard
drive for backup, in my opinion, that nobody seems to ever think
about.  If you have a large, bulky hard drive, which requires being
plugged into an AC adaptor, you'll wind up leaving it sitting on the
desktop next to your computer all the time because it's a pain to
unplug it and stash it somewhere safe.  So, if your house ever gets
burgled, or a small offfice fire happens, or something like that,
you'll lose both your computer AND your backup!

With the portable pocket-drives, though, it just takes a moment to
unplug it from the firewire port and stash it safely in another part
of the house entirely for safekeeping.  That way, if the computer
gets stolen, well, your backup is safe and sound at the top of your
linen closet, or wherever you put it.  I NEVER leave my backup drive
in the same room as my iBook once my backup is finished.

The reason I have TWO drives is because I travel a lot.  So I make
TWO backups of my iBook drive, and keep one with me in my computer
case, and put the other in one of my checked bags.  That way it's
unlikely I'll lose both drives at the same time.

I've assembled my own drive a couple of times, and it really isn't
very hard, but I don't bother doing that any more.   Drives are cheap
enough now, and the warranty issue is important enough, that I just
buy them already assembled.

Cheers -
RJLaue