iBook 700MHZ logic board

bill traynor btraynor at linux.ca
Wed Aug 6 08:14:09 PDT 2003

Greetings,

As luck would have it, my 700Mhz (dual USB) iBook died on Saturday 2
months after the 12 month warranty expired.  Being a first time Apple
owner and having bought the machine only 9 months ago, I was ignorant to
the Apple Care plan that could have been purchased.  Needless to say,
Apple has told me they can't help me.  Ironically, this problem has been
reported many, many times, see:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@@.3bbeca9e

The problem, as determined by my local Apple dealers diagnostics is a
dead video controller (or something) that requires replacement of the
Logic Board (a $880 Canadian repair).  Given that I still owe about
$2000 on the loan I took to buy this machine, dropping another $880 is
out of the question.

My question is, what options do I have?  Should I sell it for parts?
Should I look for a replacement logicboard myself?  Where are good
places to order replacement logic boards?

Thanks
Bill