load OS X?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Aug 9 00:41:40 PDT 2003

> Yes, Charlies, I am being clever, because I've seen too many messages
> from people who weren't and who suffered. I'm not into pain or
> suffering, believe firmly in preparedness.

Then I'm sure you won't mind me recommending Scott Kelby's book The Mac
OS X Conversion Kit, written especially for people making the move up
from OS 9. Best $30 you'll spend.

Also, DON'T FREAK OUT the first time something not quite what you
expected happens. It'll be fine. We're here for you. :)

Finally, I might suggest this: BEFORE loading Jag, set your OS 9
extensions to "base" ie minimal extensions. Once Jag is loaded, Repair
Permissions BEFORE attempting to run Classic the first time. Restart
the machine and let Classic load automatically (this is a preference
you set in the "Classic" system pref panel).

I suspect you'll have a great experience, and believe me you'll get
used to the NO CRASHING thing *real* fast.

_Chas_
"We don't want to be like Windows. We want to do everything better. We
are intent on creating the greatest computers and the best computing
experience in the world. And we are the only ones who can say that with
a straight face." -- Greg Joswiak, Apple VP of hardware product
marketing