[P1] ok, I'm in X

Zachary Heaton zheaton at ameritech.net
Sun Aug 10 15:35:36 PDT 2003

On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 03:56 PM, don hinkle wrote:

> OK, I successfully loaded Jag on my 500 mghz iBook, and now I'm
> starting
> to learn how to use it.
> First, I still need to boot (often?) into 9.
> For instance, my email is in Netscape 4.7.
> I have two accounts.
> If possible, I'd like to move those accounts (with all messages,
> addresses and bookmarks) to IE so I can run it in X. However, I
> understand IE only does Browsers. Is there a separate program (as in
> Communicator) that handles the email or should I switch to Mail?

If I recall, Netscape 7 has a mail component.  Barring that, I would
switch to Mail.app or another dedicated e-mail client.  You will need
to know whether your mailboxes are POP or IMAP, and you will need to
covert them to the new program - a process that may require several
steps between progressively newer applications.

For a browser, I wouldn't use IE - try Safari or Camino instead.
Microsoft has officially killed development for IE on the Mac, but
Safari and Camino are alive and well.  (These are not the only active
browsers out there - iCab and OmniWeb are still under active
development.)

> I didn't load iMovie and iTunes because I have them in OS 9, but then I
> realize I need to get the apps that run under X. (Will those run also
> in 9?)
> ...Can I just drag over via Ethernet, iMovie and iTunes from my iMac
> which has them loaded in X apps? And then delete them from OS 9 to save
> disk space?

Short answer:  Yes, probably.  These apps should be drag-and-drop to
install, assuming you don't want to transfer preferences or anything of
that nature.  After you're done, go ahead and delete iMovie and iTunes
from OS 9.  You may need to import your music and movies into the OS X
apps, but that shouldn't be difficult.  Make sure you try this before
you delete the OS 9 apps, however!

> To run Palm, I had to load it in 9. IS there an X version of Palm? (if
> so, where do I get it?)

You can either use the iCal/iSync/Address Book combo supplied by Apple,
or you can download Palm for OS X here:
<http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/mac_desktop.html>

> In order to buy music in iTunes, I need to run QT 6.x. However, I have
> paid version of QT 5 Pro.
> If I load 6 in X, will that wipe out my v 5 Pro in 9?

Not a clue on this one - can anyone else on the list provide a
definitive answer?

> Realize this is a lotta questions, but they're piling up.
> Thanks for help.

Glad to help as best as I can.

Regards,
Zach Heaton