[P1] Fxp software for OSX ?

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Mon Aug 11 01:35:12 PDT 2003

(1) Command line ftp should do transfers between two remote
accounts, I believe from reading the rfc defining ftp.  Now,
reading the man page for ftp in 10.2.6, it looks like the
"proxy" ftp cmd is how to do it.  So your local bandwidth-limited
account would count only a few text commands.  Of course, ftp is
entirely unsecure, with login id and password sent as clear text
and so sniffable by any evesdropper.

(2) So try scp (read the scp man page), which is ssh's copy
command.  It's supposed* to be able to do remote copy from
one remote host to another remote host.  [*In my very few
tries of remote-to-remote (I use it regularly for remote-
to-local and local-to-remote) I've had login problems,
or "~" being interpreted as my local user's home directory
rather than my home directory on the remote unit, even
tho for remote->local or vice versa "~" is interpreted
properly as for the remote unit.]

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Peter Nacken wrote:

> Hya
>
> I am looking for some software that lets me transfer stuff from one FTP to
> another, thus not killing my bandwidth account ... I recall from the win
 . . .