iBook Freaking Out!?

Joe Sporleder joe at beloit-kansas.com
Wed Aug 13 18:59:47 PDT 2003

I have a new iBook. It is one of the 900mhz models, 12.1" screen, combo
drive, 40GB drive, 640MB or RAM and so on. I bought it new from my
local Apple dealer about 3 months ago. It has had some trouble waking
up on occasion, i.e., the keyboard would respond, and I could here the
HD and optical drive working, but the screen would stay black. It
happened less than 25% of the time, so I didn't worry to much about it,
figuring if it got worse, I'd reset the Power Manager and the PRAM.

However, it has started a new problem just today. The screen would
freeze, no response from the trackpad or button, even the menu bar
clock would stop completely, just like a hard freeze from MacOS 9 days.
Then the screen would start to flicker out, blacking out for a few
seconds, then back on. I'm not for certain, it could be my imagination,
but the flickering/blacking out seemed worse when I jostled the iBook a
bit. Could this be the famous pinched LCD wire problem i hear about
with some of the iBooks? It would let me use the control-apple-power
button sequence to reboot, and that worked for a bit, but then the last
3 times, the screen would not come up at all.

However, I was able to boot into Target disk mode and make a more
recent backup, over FireWire to my G4, of my data in case I have to
send it in for repair. In fact, I even booted off of it in FireWire
disk mode. Actually, that is amazing how I can boot my G4 off of the
MacOS 10.2.6 that is on my iBook.

So, anyone else experienced this sort of problem with their iBook?

Joe