Hot syncing a PC only Palm cradle?

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 14 15:54:47 PDT 2003

I just bought a new Sprint phone (Samsung I-500) with a built in Palm and
web browser. However, the phone's Palm sync cradle is PC only, and they have
no drivers for Mac as yet. I called Samsung tech support and asked how I
could sync with my iBook and they suggested buying a serial cable from an
older model and a serial to USB converter (thereby adding about $75 more to
a phone that already cost $600.)

I'd be syncing the phone's Palm with EntourageX on my iBook, as I usually do
with my standalone Palm.

So, my questions are, anybody have any experience syncing a PC only Palm
cradle with an iBook?

Is it enough just to have a full backup on my old standalone Palm in case I
lose info on my iBook?

Do I face any additional dangers plugging this cradle into my iBook and
pushing the hot-sync button? Could my iBook explode and level a 5-block
area? Or develop some new problem that will have me tearing my hair out for
doing something so foolhardy?

Any other suggestions, issues, etc.?

Incidentally, I'm going through all this because it's an amazing new phone.
It's small, lightweight, yet it has a full featured Palm built in, and--the
main reason I bought it--It has a built-in web browser that lets me get
webmail, send new mail, etc. any time from anywhere, which is worth it to me
because I do so much of my business via email, and when I'm away from my
office, I can't always find a wi-fi connection or a handy Starbucks to stay
in touch with clients.

Thanks,
Brian