[P1] External Firewire HD

Mark D. Chapman mchapman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 18 17:21:10 PDT 2003

>  > I am planning to buy an external Firewire HD (or a HD case) for my
>>  ibook. I would like to be able to boot from that drive.
>>
>>  How do I know if a drive or case is bootable?
>>
>>  Is this related to the Oxford 911 (?) chipset people recommend.
>
>Mark,
>
>AFAIK, you can boot from any attached HD that the iBook will recognise (and
>obviously it will need to also have a functioning OS installed). The
>differences between models of HD's and Cases are mostly one of looks,
>performance (this is where the oxford chip counts=faster than others for
>transfer rates), amount of space and cache, type of comms connections (i.e.
>USB, Firewire and soon USB2) as well as price.

Great. So I can basically buy any Firewire case or HD. I primarily
want the HD to store digital photos (also backed up to CD) but I plan
to make both a duplicate of my HD for restore purposes and a repair
partition for, well, repair purposes.

Thanks for the information, Mark
--
  Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto