[P1] Help, no dictionary for X?

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Thu Aug 21 19:44:22 PDT 2003

>For several years, I've used the American Heritage Dictionary in OS 8
>and 9. Now, I can't seem to locate a version that runs natively in
>Jaguar. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement? I use such a tool a
>lot in my work.
>thanks,
>
>--
>donald henry hinkle

You should be able to use AHD in the classic mode of OS X.

For an OS X native program, got to www.versiontracker.com, chose the OS X
tab and search on "dictionary." These are some of the programs I found by
doing that.

- Houghton-Mifflin eReference X, inclduing the American Heritage
Dictionary:

http://www.dedicatedteacher.com/estore/product/HMR10116f

Be sure to read the reviews on Verstion Tracker, as there seem to be some
usability issues.

- Inductel Standard Dictionary   dictionary with defs, pics, audio

http://www.inductel.com/standard.html

(They have several specialized dictionaries/spellers, as well.)

-----------

Interactive spell-checking, including a dictionary and thesaurus:

Spell Catcher X
Universal spell checker, thesaurus, dictionary, shorthand glossary

http://www.rainmakerinc.com/

(This used to be sold by Casady & Greene, but it has reverted back to the
original developers, who now go by the name Rainmaker Research, Inc. The
Classic version is Spell Catcher 8, which I use regularly.)

-----------

To access/search online dictionary-type resources--these would be great
if you have a DSL or cable connection, where you're online all the time.
Also, most of these are freeware.

- MacDICT  easy access to many databases including Webster's Dictionary

http://www.bainsware.com/macdict/

- NetDICT

http://homepage.mac.com/smuncy/netdict/index.html

- Look It Up

- Ask The Web X multilingual Web dictionary database client and game

- OmniDictionary  client for network dictionary servers

- Oridict   Dictionary interface for edict, cedict and other dictionaries

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com