[P1] disconnect

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 23 04:01:53 PDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 07:31  PM, Mike Beede wrote:

>> darn, using my phone modem I was uploading a 2MB file, taking its
>> sweet time at 46K, and suddenly it disconnects because of "no
>> response from the other side". Is there some time cutoff on this
>> thing? I think it had run about 15-20 minutes before the disconnect.
>> Is there some way to tell it "don't disconnect until an hour passes?"

Yes, there is; however, if the other side has disconnected waiting for
data from it is a frivolous waste of time...

S30 register (Disconnect inactivity timer)
The S30 register sets the length of time, in tens of seconds, that the
modem will stay on-line
before disconnecting when no data is sent or received. Any data
transmitted will reset the
timer. The timer is inoperative in synchronous mode. The range of
values for this register is
0–255. If S30 equals 0, the function is disabled; this is the default
setting.

There are other settings relative to disconnecting.

Some carriers will disconnect you during times of heavy activity and I
would assume the have a priority list for whom to disconnect and whom
not to disconnect. Certain times of day almost insure that I get
disconnected from Sprint while I can stay online for hours at other
times of day.

Apple's modem scripts can be adjusted using a text editor and if you
try you will see that they are really overly complex and possibly
incorrect.

I have the AT Commands.pdf file that Apple distributed years ago and
will send you a copy if you send me a private email requesting it.

---
A great site for editorial cartoons: <http://cagle.slate.msn.com/>

<http://www.JackRodgers.com>
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>