[P1] encryption

Joe Jones joham at jo-ham.com
Tue Aug 26 13:14:41 PDT 2003

If you're going to the trouble of storing data on an encrypted disk
image then it presumes you want to take more precautions than are
generally provided in OS X.

OS X is pretty secure, and you can have it not log you in
automatically, and you can always log out when you're not using it, but
what happens if someone decides to boot the machine using an OS X
install CD, resets the admin password and then logs in, or adds a new
admin user, enables root and changes your password?

What if someone physically steals the disk? Eventually they'll be able
to reset your password or get root access.

If you don't keep the encrypted disk image password (or phrase with
multiple words in mixed upper and lower case as I would use) in your
keychain then there is no way on Earth at present to brute force that
image. It's been proven that with current processing power it would
take on the orders of thousands of years to brute force AES 128bit
encryption. They'd either have to be very lucky or extremely dedicated,
If you can afford the power needed to break it open then I doubt you'd
be interested in the contents anyway.

The keychain (and your user account) can be defeated, the disk image
can not.

Joe