Mail Vs. Entourage

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Mon Dec 1 08:27:07 PST 2003

I'm fascinated by the Mail vs. Entourage discussion because I have some
dissatisfactions with mail and would like it to have a new thread. I
have not used Entourage, part of my anti-MS attitude. The very positive
statements about it made here lead me to rethink my position. My major
caution has been all the problems I've heard about with Outlook macro
viruses and fears that they could easily be adapted for Entourage on
the Mac. I admit that this is a fear based on nothing more than both
are MS email/scheduling/contact programs and an assumption that they
share architecture and coding.

Managing multiple email accounts in Mail has been no problem for me. I
have two STMP accounts and they were both easy to set up, in my
recollection. I suspect I could set up a third and fourth account if I
wanted with no problem.

I find in Mail that I'm occasionally sending mail from the wrong
account. Apparently whichever mail account I have selected in the
drawer determines which account is the sending account, though it can
be changed in the pop-up menu.

My major hassle with Mail is the default window often opens so that it
extends off screen to the right and below, meaning scroll bars are
inaccessible. That includes cases when there is included text, some of
which I may want to trim.

Part of this misbehavior is the fact that it fail to drag highlighting
down a span of text that extends below the bottom of the window. That
is, I begin highlighting text by click and drag the mouse (trackpad in
my case on iBook) to the bottom of the window the window doesn't
auto-scroll downward to include more text. I have to highlight in
blocks to remove the text and manually scroll the window after dragging
it so I can see the scroll bar. this is a common problem for me because
I participate on some email groups through which ads are appended to
the bottoms of messages and I like to remove them so they don't pile up
at the bottom as the thread accumulates replies.

It is enough to make me investigate Entourage for a week just to see.

Comments?

Paul