[P1] Panther bits

Ian Sidle ian at iansidle.com
Mon Dec 1 10:42:47 PST 2003

> What hasn't been mentioned during the compaison of Mail and Entourage
> (G3-800) is that Mail slows down when it has to "swallow" a lot of mail
> and/or if your address book has a lot of entries. I talk about > 600
> messages a day and approx 1500 contacts. I'm on several Linux lists,
> one of
> them generating a lot of messages so the amount is normal
Sounds like your an prime candidate for digest mode! All of my email
lists are on digest mode (even the slow/small ones). Its just an lot
easier to keep track of things, and less messages jumping back and
forth. Hope you got filters for those lists my friend!

> Furthermore, I find Mail,
> by default, a bit of a hog for a G3 CPU, even without a lot of
> messages.
I Agree. One of the main reasons why I upgraded to an 12"AI book from
an 500ibook.

> However, I don't advice buying MS Office X just for the Entourage
> client.
> Mail still can be used by taking some precautions.
Yeah. Thats one of the big things is I had to learn how to use
mail.app, and its quite different then good ol' eudora. I haven't taken
the idea of going back but I feel mail.app is just fine, once you get
the hand of it.

> Then, ofcourse, the Calendar is more polished than iCal and snappier
> on a
> G3. The ability to link e.g. an appointment with a ToDo item with the
> Address with a Note (or any other combination) within Entourage is a
> nice
> feature too.
Yeah. I normally used the palm desktop (because I got an palm) and feel
that ical is missing an few things. Still, if you got "basic" needs
with an calendar, its an excellent way to go.

thanks,
Ian