[P1] Beloved clamshell's best features

Jason Bennett jpbennett at mac.com
Wed Dec 10 05:08:40 PST 2003

On 10-Dec-03, e.mkeene wrote:

>> Especially women ;o)  His daughter probably loves her clamshell ibook
>> b/c of it's style.  That's why I love mine.  For example, my husband
>> wants a car that is fast, but I want a car that looks good...  see
>> what
>> I mean?
>
> The choice of blueberry was a brilliant choice, the design was
> marvelous, I loved the handle and the clamshell hinge but my favorite
> feature was the keyboard. Never before and never again will we see the
> likes of it for comfort.

I, too, am very happy with the clamshell iBook. In fact, it appears
many potential buyers for the clamshells still exist. When I was
ordering Panther from the Apple store, I mentioned the specs of my
iBook in reply to the question if my computer met the requirements
(yes). Upon learning about my tangerine iBook, the Apple rep said, "We
still get quite a few inquiries for those laptops. People will call up
and say 'I would like to order the blue-coloured laptop,' and when they
hear it isn't being made anymore, they insist, 'but that's the one I
want,' and often will hang up without a purchase. I want to tell them,
'but we have some new iBooks are very good,' but that doesn't always
persuade them." Clearly they are "one of a kind" laptops for more than
just the actual owners.

The one "drag" I find with my laptop, though, is weight. My wife has a
dual USB iBook, and sometimes I'll throw hers in the backpack when she
isn't using it as I head out, and it's a lot lighter on the shoulders.
The difference between the two is about one and a half pounds, which
doesn't seem like a lot with a good backpack, so maybe I'll try
carrying the clamshell again to see if my shoulders have strengthened
or something. :)  Otherwise, I'm a loyal clamshell user.

Jason