iTunes Help

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Mon Dec 15 09:55:04 PST 2003

This list has been helpful in directing me and others to nifty
solutions, so I thought I would throw this one out to you all:
I have many gigabytes of music that I have ripped from my own CDs and
downloaded from both the iTunes Music Store and eMusic (cancelled my
membership to them when they got bought-out and ended their $9.95 a
month unlimited downloads). I have a bunch of gigabytes on my iBook,
another bunch on my office G4, another bunch on my home G4, and another
bunch on an external firewire hard drive. All in all, it amounts to
about 40-40 gigabytes. I know there is a lot of duplication among all
these libraries and I would like to consolidate them into one library
(I'm getting an iPod!), but I don't want to spend my life going through
looking for the duplicates. So, here's the question: does anyone know
of a program or AppleScript that can go through these libraries and get
rid of the duplicates? Also, is there any way that I can keep my newly
consolidated library on a hard drive that's different from the Home
drive? I've added additional internal hard drives to both my office and
home G4s and would like to use them for storage of things like this,
but iTunes wants to import the files to the users' Music folder.
Thanks.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)