Utilities to run on ibook, Stupid POC modem

John Swartz jswartz at mitre.org
Tue Dec 16 06:18:13 PST 2003

DiskWarrior is great.  It saved my external firwire drive after Norton
did it's best to kill it (BTW, this was under OS 9).  I don't know if it
is as necessary under OS X, but I do have the OS X version now and have
used it on ocassion.  I haven't had major problems on my iBook, so I
can't say for sure that DW has been responsible.

> List newbie here with a problem.  I've about had it with the so-called
> "modem" on my iBook 700.  It has caused kernel panics requiring
> shutdown and re-starts, drops connections unpredictably and often, and
> sometimes refuses to disconnect.  Actually, it does disconnect from the
> telephone line, but it keeps running the "Disconnecting" message on the
> menubar which won't stop even if I log out and back on as another user.
>   Only restarting works, and that takes awhile.  A multi-tasking OS
> (10.2, BTW) shouldn't be taken down by something this stupid, but this
> one is.
>
> Other than this annoyance, I love the computer.  Help!

I had this problem on my 900 Mhz iBook.  At the time I was running
10.2.4 (I think).  I'm now running 10.2.8 and have not seen the problem
(I don't know if it was fixed in 10.2.8 or 10.2.6).

John